IBM is one of the many companies who manufacture server line of products. IBM DB2 is one of the most commonly used server type. For each of the major operating systems, IBM has a specific DB2 product. However, in the recent past it has been seen that IBM has developed a platform-independent server product. In addition to the relational model, it supports object-based features and non-relational structures like XML.
The DB2 performs various management related operations like create, store, retrieve, and update the data. It has taken over the native Virtual Sequential Access Method (VSAM) technology. The Virtual Sequential Access Method has been just a method to access the data and had various limitations.
The IBM DB2 is considered to be a complete package
and perform the following functions.
- Abstraction of Data is done using a very structured view. A user can easily analyzes the data logically and need not know the actual storage mechanism on the disk.
- IBM DB2 provides data independence between the application program and the Data. This avoids the source code to be re-written, every time a new data is added or there is any change in the structure of the data.
- It provides better security mechanism for the data by granting you the required privileges. This helps in protecting the data from any unauthorized users.
- DB2 maintains data concurrency by managing all the transactions using a locking mechanism.
- Provides easy recovery options in case of crashes. Data are retrieved in their original format without causing any further damage.
In addition to the above-mentioned points, there are various other advantages of IBM DB2 server. However, such databases are always open to various issues including corruption. Database corruption can happen in various situations. You might experience a corrupt database while writing, reading, transmission, processing, storage, etc. A corrupt database can lead to inaccessibility of the database objects due to any kind of change in the structure of database due to corruption. There could be many reasons for corruption. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Corruption due to corrupt file system
- Improper system shutdown
- Sudden power failure
- Perform activities like checking and repairing in a live database
- Virus Attack
- Database header corruption
- Malfunctioning of the hardware
- Corrupt Memory
- Network issues arising due to adapter, switches, fibre, etc.
- Improper coding of the applications
- Disk Overwriting
- Oversized database file
- Inconsistent database state due to critical changes in the file configuration by the user
Among the various reasons of corruption mentioned above, it is very challenging to find the exact reason for corruption. There could be more than one reason for DB2 corruption. Moreover, such corruption scenarios are often supported by various error messages. You could get any of the following error messages.
‘SQLCODE: -204, SQLSTATE: 42704 DB2ADMIN.TABLE" [SELECT * FROM IDSC.TABLE]", SQL0298N "BAD CONTAINER PATH’
‘Your db2 file not responding to any query’
Moreover, you could get the specific error numbers as mentioned below.
Error – 118 : ( Set SELECT from DELETE )
Error – 204 : ( In case of dropping tables )
Error - 408 : ( Using triggers to call a procedure )
Error – 632 : ( Set DELETE SET NULL from FK ).
Error – 905 : ( using join and unload )
You can repair corrupt DB2 database file
by storing the database components like views, triggers, procedures, etc. in a safe location. This DB2 database recovery can be done by using a professional and reliable tool.